Mid and South Essex University Hospitals Group (MSEUH)
Mid and South Essex University Hospitals Group
Context and Drivers
MSEUH Group consists of 3 acute hospitals trusts: Basildon & Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Mid Essex Hospitals NHS Trust and Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. MSEUH Group have a combined spend of £933 million p.a. and serve a population of more than 1.1 million people and are working together towards a shared services model in order to work together as one hospital to deliver more specialised care and better manage the needs of local people.
The Group identified technology as one of the core enablers to support their new operating model. Having engaged two high-profile technology providers to recommend an approach previously, the group were still unclear about how to best adopt digital, whilst mitigating risks within an affordable budget.
Following a formal procurement process, Shaping Cloud were engaged to assess the existing infrastructure and Digital Services and to set out a business case and transformation programme to modernise, reduce risks, optimise costs, and enable the adoption of cloud-native digital services, such as data analytics, automation, and AI. One of the main reasons for selecting Shaping Cloud was our extensive experience in the NHS and cloud.
- Digital ambition for transforming care
- Merger of three hospitals and the creation of shared services
- 3 separate infrastructures with little commonality
- Significant technical debt
- Cost saving targets without clarity of existing spend
- Licensing clarity required
- Increased workforce mobility and collaboration desired
Working collaboratively alongside the knowledgeable Digital Services staff within the Group, Shaping Cloud ran their own tools to capture the whole infrastructure at each Hospital site and validate this as comprehensive.
This accurate baseline enabled thorough assessment of risks and all options for adopting digital to enable the business objectives, such as consolidating applications, reducing costs, collaborating more, and being informed by good data.
Shaping Cloud informed MSEUH Digital Services staff of the options for each of its applications and services and together established a target architecture, supporting operating model and transformation roadmap. This in turn, was turned into a fully costed programme for delivery over a 3 year period.
Having spent time with key stakeholders, including the CFOs and CCIOs, to understand the ambition and plans of this NHS group of hospitals, Shaping Cloud then set these technology plans and costs into context and delivered an Executive presentation to decision makers. The feedback from this fed into the Strategic Outline Business Case, which Shaping Cloud prepared on behalf of the CIO, to be taken forward for a successful formal decision.
This work provided MSEUH NHS Group with:
- Full asset register
- Clarity of all costs in the form of a Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) model for current and target states
- Clear licensing view and strategy
- Architectural diagrams that graphically represented the infrastructure and applications in order to inform discussions and decisions
- Foundational setup of cloud tenancy
- Training of key personnel
- Target architecture and adoption proposals
- Transformational roadmap, aligned to organisations’ priorities
- Fully costed Strategic Programme of Works
- Strategic Outline Business Case in format for decision within the Group
MSEUH Group are using this output to inform internal projects and decisions and have used some of this output to engage the market for a delivery partner to implement the programme.